Today marks 14 years of wedded life for Mr. Spit and I. In recognition of that – way back in March, 100 days before today, I started a list of 100 things I loved about Mr. Spit.
1. You picked me up at the airport. Just like you do every time. I walk through the security doors, and there you are, leaning up against the post, smiling at me. Doesn’t matter how tired, how grumpy or how frustrated I am with work, you, there, makes my day better.
2. You woke up obscenely early to go to a fundraising breakfast with me. You helped me host a table full of people you don’t know and were witty and charming.
3. You are going to the neurologist with me. It would never occur to you that most people would let their wife go alone. Nope, you figure I have MS, and you are affected by what affects me, so off we go to the neurologist. Because we will figure this out. Together.
4. Your old boss came and hugged me. While, on the surface, this has nothing to do with me, it reminds me that we have made this life together, filled with people we both care about.
5. You wrapped a present for me. I know it seems a silly thing, but for heaven’s sake, when I wrap presents, it looks like a drunken wombat went at it, and I so appreciate that you are willing to share your talents with me.
6. You indulge me (and participate in) my love for Downton Abbey.
7. Most mornings when we are both in town, you drive in with me, carry my briefcase to the corner by my office tower and kiss me goodbye. I love that.
8. You were out of town this morning, but when I woke up, there was a text from you, wishing me a good morning.
9. You cuddle me every night.
10. I stayed home sick today and you checked in on me, multiple times.
11. You came and asked me what we had to do to make time for a cuddle today.
12. I like running errands with you.
13. You told me that my mermaid tail sleeping bag was awesome. It was, but I appreciated your appreciation.
14. Umm, yes. That. Mmmmmm!
15. You are so excited to go to Nicaragua to build a bridge, and I love watching your excitement.
16. Sometimes you randomly buy me flowers.
17. I’m so proud of you when you go running, even when the weather is miserable.
18. You cook dinner when I’m tired.
19. You went and got the cat food. For cats you don’t like.
20. You bought me a solid chocolate bunny and laughed at me when I bit his ears off (but were quite willing to bite his head off)
21. I love watching you shave.
22. You apologized for getting me sick too.
23. You knew I was sad and hurting about the thing, and that there was nothing you could do about it, so you gathered me into your arms and told me that you loved me. It doesn’t and can’t fix anything, but I felt better.
24. It’s been a tough week at work and you keep listening to me rant about the same things.
25. You only laugh at my fear of dentists a little bit.
26. You made sure I didn’t expend too much energy after my Tysabri
27. I’ve mentioned that you are a good kisser, right?
28. Still listening to me complain about work stuff.
29. I love your smile. It makes my toes curl when you smile at me like that.
30. You hate the cats and still clean their litter box.
31. You put me on a plane early in the morning.
32. You thought it was great that I spent an entire weekend in another city, with a friend.
33. I ate a fabulous meal with great wine. You had plain spaghetti, and you were still happy for me.
34. While the weekend away was fabulous, you were waiting for me when I got off the plane and that was even better.
35. You noticed the new clothes. And you said nice things.
36. You made dinner while I napped.
37. You ordered me to have a nap.
38. You are so incredibly dedicated and determined. You run in snowstorms.
39. You think it’s great that you play video games and I knit.
40. I watched you run past me at your half marathon, looking half dead. You came across that finish line, making the time you wanted, and I can’t recall when I was last this proud of you.
41. You tried really hard not to talk about how much you hurt after the half marathon.
42. You thought it was great when I decided that I might want to do a half marathon.
43. Random texts through the day asking how my day is going make me smile.
44. I had a doctor’s appointment and you offered to drop everything and go with me.
45. Getting dressed up to go out with you.
46. Golly, that was fun!
47. I slept all day because I was exhausted. You were ok with that.
48. Star wars nerdiness
49. Watching election results with you
50. When we sit on the couch and talk about our days.
51. That you mostly understand my lack of communication in the morning is nothing personal, it’s just that every morning is a shock to me.
52. Quiet Friday nights at home.
53. Tysabri days. When you understand that the bacon cheeseburger and onion rings are the only thing that might stay in my stomach
54. Mother’s Day sucked. At least it sucked with you.
55. That when we fight, we can sit down and work through it and still have everyone feel loved at the end of it.
56. I made a vegetarian meal. After 14 years you are mostly ok with this.
57. After a day filled with nose bleeds, when I didn’t want to cook, and all I wanted was pizza and I felt badly about not cooking, you reminded me that while you love my cooking, if you wanted a cook, you would hire one.
58. You creep in the house quietly when I am napping on Friday afternoons.
59. You were careful to watch over me at a birthday party, and when it was apparent I was exhausted and embarrassed by having to leave the party early, you helped me creep out without anyone seeing me.
60. I was still exhausted today. You kept watching over me and telling me that it would be ok.
61. Monday’s are awful. They are better when you kiss me goodbye
62. You kiss my shoulder every night before you roll over and go to sleep.
63. You tuck me into bed when I have a nap.
64. I love the joy you get out of your motorcycle. I like the fact that your jacket is neon green, so that motorists can see the guy I love coming.
65. I had to cancel some plans. You kissed me and told me that it would be ok and there were other times.
66. How you cheer when I go running, even when I don’t want to.
67. The fact that you spent 3 months raising money for MS
68. Puns. Puns that last for hours. You really are astonishingly good at them and it makes me smile.
69. You notice when I get my nails done.
70. The way the corners of your eyes crinkle when you laugh.
71. When you tell me that you appreciate how organized I am.
72. I was grumpy about something. You gave me a good perspective. You pointed out that you couldn’t fix it, but you could listen.
73. There’s no one I’d rather sit next to in an overheated auditorium, watching a kid graduate.
74. Hey, we looked pretty good in those photo’s!
75. Well, this is a PG blog, and that wasn’t a PG thing, but oh, hell yes.
76. You were out of town tonight and I missed being cuddled before I fell asleep.
77. I had this perfect plan to stop by the side of the highway where you were working and kiss you good night. Except it didn’t work. It was a really good plan.
78. You came home early from your trip, and knowing that I was at a meeting, you quietly slipped into my home office with an iced coffee.
79. I love watching you while you sit and read.
80. Tysabri day. It sucks. At least you make me laugh.
81. That was an awkward situation we found ourselves in. I appreciated how you were so careful to check in and make sure that you understood how I was feeling.
82. The smell of your shaving soap.
84. The text you send every morning telling me to have a good day.
85. The way you look when you are concentrating on something. I love that singular focus.
86. Sitting on the front porch talking about things with you.
87. I screwed up. You were far more gracious than you had to be.
88. When I say – “yes, I could do that. But I really, really don’t want to” and you do it for me.
89. You are very good at solving problems.
90. When you look at me from across the room and know I’m exasperated just by the set of my shoulders.
91. You make a point of telling me that my big brain is sexy.
92. Scattering mum’s ashes was hard. Holding your hand made it easier.
93. Sometimes you can read my mind. That’s both alluring and terrifying.
94. You hit your head on a bridge and I’m not there to check you over and kiss it better and that makes me sad.
95. I know I tease you about your puns, but they make me smile, every time.
96. I like coming home from my run and seeing you smile at me.
97. Cirque! I’m so glad that has become one of our things.
98. Avengers! I’ll share my popcorn with you any time.
99. Lazy Sundays. Spent not doing much.
100. 14 years. That’s 5,113 days. 100 reasons doesn’t seem like enough, but hopefully it’s enough to have you know how glad I am that you are in my life. I know I’m not much for sentiment, but my life is in every way better because you are part of it.
I love you.